In the past, I've used these yearly tabs to remind myself of books I wanted to read, either from a friend's suggestion, a "must read" list, or something I own but haven't read. Usually they hover around 20-30, many are checked off while others get carried forward to the next year. But in adding to the 2009 list, I became curious as to how many books I actually read each year - these aren't comprehensive because many things I just pick up and read, without writing it down.
So, I decided to keep track this year. And, because I'm all about the numbers and stats, to set the goal of reading 100 books this year. It didn't sound like too many at first, until it was pointed out that this is the equivalent of 1 book every 3 1/2 days. But I like to be optimistic, plus I had already read 18 books through the second week in March, leaving only 7 needed for the first quarter of the year.
While I've decided to include any books no matter the length, difficulty, or whether I've read it 10 times already, I'm not planning to "cheat" and read all easy stuff (as I have been accused - believe me, I own enough Children's books to read well past the 100 mark). The queue of books I want to read is never ending, so I don't think that will be a temptation. I've added to the sidebar my shelf from the cool Shelfari site of what I am currently reading, in my four typical categories: Fiction, NonFiction, Literature, and Children's/Young Adult.
First Quarter
So it's the end of the first quarter - a good measuring point - and I'm just one shy of the 25. Below is the shelf of the 24, in the order read:
- 2 nonfiction
- 2 fiction
- 2 children's/ya
- 3 series (Anne of Green Gables, Twilight, and Harry Potter)

So, 24 down and 76 to go (well, hopefully 75 after tonight). Anyone have some suggestions? I do have about 20 queued up, but always willing for input. Just don't be offended if they aren't at the top of the list, they all have to wait their turn :)

3 comments:
Wow, you read a lot and FAST. But, I'm not really that surprised! I think you'll be able to make your goal.
How did you like the Hunger Games?
You shouldn't be surprise, your wife does, too. Hunger Games was awesome - can't wait for the next one!
Oh, my goodness Jenise! I was proud of myself for getting through a whole magazine last week! :) This is fun though, and I hope its fun for you all year and never becomes a burden. No suggestions from me- I read historical romances which I'm quite sure would never make your list. Ha! The last 'real' book I read was Anderson Cooper's bio a couple of years ago and I did really enjoy that.
Post a Comment