What I mostly love in January is to start planning out the year. Primarily, of course, the places to go and books to read :) 365 days open for travel and reading adventures!
At first, the travel possibilities seem limitless. Every and all destinations are options. So, I start with the trips that didn't happen in 2010 (Iceland, Little House on the Prairie Days, Blue Ridge Parkway, The Biltmore, Tom Sawyer Days) and add a few "2011 is a great year to see this" places (Climb up the Statue of Liberty before it is closed for renovations, Glacier National Park before it melts away). And then there's all of those international destinations - I mean, I have only visited 10% of the world:
Plus all of those domestic places I love to revisit for food, family, and just fun (Kansas City, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Austin, Lubbock, Orlando, DC...) Not to mention warm places in the winter, I really am becoming at wimp in the cold!And even though no one would believe it, I do stay at home the occasional weekend. Really, I promise. Only 52 weekends a year, how to fit it all in?!
Perhaps planning my reading will be easier. I mean, I can read every single day; whereas my fabulous job does keep me at home some of the time. Two years ago I tried the "100 books in a year" strategy (came close, very very close). Then there was last year's "read whatever whenever and any recommendations which sound good" which amounted to about 50 books.
For 2011, I think I'm going with a "every genre, every month" approach. Realize, of course, my genres are what I want them to be, so this will be limited to six categories. The general thought is one of each every month, but being practical I've factored in a little adjustments. Longer non-fiction and literature works (aka those 800+ page ones) will span two months and many in the children's/young adult will be a series during the month rather than just one book.
Right now the list (okay, I'll admit it - spreadsheet) looks to be about 75 books, but flexible for any great recommendations that come along. As well as rereads of some favorites (Witch of Blackbird Pond, Persuasion, Blue Sword, Rifles for Watie, Les Mis when I can find the time...) every now and then. I know some people never reread a book, which I really don't understand. Even with something I've read 20 times I still discover something new each time...and remember why it is a favorite :)
Here's what I'm set to tackle in January:
Career/Business - Lead with LUV by Ken Blanchard & Colleen Barrett
Fiction - Walking with the Bible by Bruce Feiler (so I goofed, this is actually nonfiction, but I didn't realize it until after I started it)
NonFiction - Defending Baltimore Against Enemy Attack by Charles Osgood
Children's - The Indian in the Cupboard series by Lynne Reid Banks
Literature - Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas
Book Club - What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck

Anyone have travel/reading suggestions? The calendar and bookmarks are waiting!

2 comments:
Happy New Year. One of your to-visit favorites is on my mind alot lately. :)
I can't wait to see pictures of all you travels this year. I am reading The Hunger Games series. It is entertaining.
Post a Comment