Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fall 2010 Craziness: Marathon Relay

Marathoning for Miracles

Somehow Evan (the runner/marathoner) convinced Jacinda, Mandy, and I (um, not runners) to run the 4 person relay at the Marathoning for Miracles in Abilene. Mandy to fly down from Oregon, Halloween fun...It actually sounded like a good idea and an excuse to make myself run, at least it did when we first discussed it...in June. Come time for the race on Halloween weekend well, I was hoping I was still standing let alone able to run 5 miles.

Yes, for any quick mental math people, 26.2 divided by 4 is not 5. The legs were instead split 5, 6, 7 and 8; I was able to convince the others I didn't have as much time to train and really needed that shorter leg :)

So, hours after tearing down Mario's World, I was in Abilene. With a carb-filled pasta dinner, the Abilene High/Cooper football game, a few hours of sleep and it was time for the race.

Dark, early, and cold. But we are smiling!

Running like the wind...or into the wind?


First exchange - I was really happy to see Mandy!


Mandy got to run through the beautiful Abilene "countryside." Aka. gravel roads :)


High fives and tradeoffs


Oops, not that road


Everyone coming in for the finish!


Team medals
(In case anyone's confused, our fourth person kept changing and we had to have a last minute substitution, an ACU runner who didn't mind the 8 miles!)


After some hydration, snacks, and a long nap, we were ready for the next weekend event: Hillcrest's trunk or treat! Inspired by Disney's newest version, we all went as characters from Alice in Wonderland:

Mad Hatter, White Queen, Alice, and Red Queen


Running the cake walk


Everyone's in "character"



Thanks, Mandy and Jacinda for letting me "borrow" the pictures :)


Calendar check, after all this fun, it was back to DFW for the World Series the next day!

No comments: