Thursday, August 27, 2009

Advertising Does Pay Off

I'm not the Marketing Industry's favorite consumer. I spend as little time as possible shopping and rarely look through ads. The latest funny commercial? I probably missed it, seeing as how my TV remains in the "off" position most of the time. Generally I know what I'm looking for and just use ads to figure out who will sell it to me for the best price.

But this week, advertising worked on even me. Somehow I got on Target's list to receive their weekly ads via email. Usually, it hits the trash bin before I open it. But this week, still needing a few house items, I perused through looking to see if anything I needed was on sale. And there, in the bottom right hand corner of page 19 was the hook:




No, not the "movies that are $10 for a reason" or the "I've never heard of them TV shows." THIS one:


I'd consider myself an original ALIAS fan. I saw the first episode when it originally aired on TV. And I've seen every episode that followed, most of them in its timeslot the first time and recording onto VHS for the many viewings thereafter. Definitely one of my favorite shows ever, and probably the only one for which I scheduled mandatory, do-not-disturb events. I even recall ALIAS watching rules, like no talking and save your confused questions for the commercial break (this was before the days of DVRs and TiVo, after all).

So when I saw the DVDs were just $12.99 per season, I was ecstatic to say the least. I've always been too stingy to purchase them at the $30-50 usual price. Needing to run some errands, I added Target to the list of places to go, planning to just run in and out. But once there, I saw a few other sale items I was needing and then, realizing this was a SuperTarget with a full grocery section, ended up doing all my grocery shopping there instead of fighting the WalMart crowd. In essence, spending more than originally intended.

And that's what advertising is for, right? They lure you into the store with a good deal and then hope you end up buying more. Target, guess your advertising scheme worked on me this time. Oh, and thanks for the cheap DVDs :)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

The reason I subscribe to the Sunday paper is to read the ads, specifically for DVD sales. I never pay more than $19.99 for a TV season in DVD. A fews years ago, my sister and I bought my cousins most seasons of Gilmore Girls for cheap because I watched the sales.

H Noble said...

So it worked on you, but it worked for you too, didn't it? Love a great deal like that! Oh, and I've never seen an episode of Alias.

Amy said...

Thank you so much for my fun surprise mail! That was so sweet ~ it made my day! THANKS! Love ya