Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just 31 days at a time

I ran across this interesting article the other day. Every January, whether we define them as "resolutions" or not, we all consider changes we'd like to make, things we want to start/stop doing. But instead of making big promises we are more than likely not to keep, this article documents 10 different women who made a small change for 31 days. I was rather impressed by their results, given the smallness of the tasks.

Good idea, I decide. So, what should my "31 days" task be? A couple of the article's tasks would be good - exercising for a minute or talking to strangers. However, I opted for my own. I've decided to resurrect the art of letter writing and write a hand-written note to someone everyday for 31 days. I'll admit I come by this one naturally - I send at least 20 postcards every trip I take, a habit I've inherited from my mother and grandma (who sends out more Halloween cards than most people send Christmas cards). But I'm eliminating the travel focus (I know, a bit of a stretch for me) and instead going to a personal, newsy feel like the days of 'ole - a little more costly to mail, but delivery time has quickened a bit. Off to mail the first day's card!

3 comments:

H Noble said...

Wonderful non-resolution. I'm hope I'm in the 31!

laura jo said...

What a great idea. I consider resolution-time silly at times, but still a good reminder to examine things in life. The 31 day idea seems much more manageable anyway! Good luck and happy letter-writing. :)

Kevin and Tonya said...

Hey, It's great to have you back in the blogging world. I read that article and was inspired by it too (although I haven't picked my 31 day activity yet). I will be looking forward to a letter!