The Eyre Affair Over five years ago, my friend Jamie wrote a blog post in which she listed the Thursday Next book series as a favorite. Subsequently, she has mentioned the books to me...more than once. And finally, all this time later, I read the first of the series: The Eyre Affair.The best word to describe this book - witty. Some play on words and clever character names throughout. Though I would not think it a requirement, those with knowledge of some classic British literature are sure to find it especially amusing. As the title suggests, a pre-reading of Jane Eyre could prove helpful. While I don't want to give away the story, I will tease you with the one tidbit: Thursday, the main protagonist, is a Literary Detective in England, a job which involves investigating when characters disappear from major works of fiction. I will admit this actually made me appreciate Jane Eyre, and especially its ending much more, as it has unfortunately never been one of my favorites. I may actually try to read it again.
Chocolate Wars This other book wasn't quite so delayed. It was on the 2011 reading list, in my non-fiction column. I even checked it out from the library but there it sat, unopened as I became too busy and the library due date arrived. But the concept was too intriguing to ignore, so it went to the top of the non-fiction column in the 2012 reading schedule.As the name suggests, Chocolate Wars is a history of modern chocolate companies, primarily told through the point of view of the Cadbury brothers, although some significant time is given to other confectioneries and the Cadbury competitors as well. I know some people are turned off by non-fiction reading, but the author (a relative of the Cadbury chocolate family) does a great job of keeping your interest and investing you into what happens with the company and family. One interesting note from the book, as impressive as is the city of Hershey, PA, where Milton Hershey built his chocolate town, he did not originate this idea; rather it was roughly modeled after the town which the Cadburys build for their factory and workers. Although I'm not sure that theirs ever had an amusement park :)

No comments:
Post a Comment