Here's a round-up of the April fun. Sadly, most of these were undocumented via camera. So you'll have to read through my colorful descriptions instead!
Opening Night Rangers game and cookout
My streak of Opening Day attendance had to end sometime. And this was the year. The combination of an American League championship and facing the always popular Boston Red Sox made the tickets too difficult and too pricey to obtain. So, we invited friends and family for the next best thing - pregame cookout and Opening Night game!
Highlights of the day included:
- Introducing Evan to ALDI - greatest grocery store ever
- Getting to use both of mom's tailgating tents (Christmas gifts - clearly we think alike in our family)
- Trying to keep the tents from flying away!
- Great hotdogs and brats grilled by Evan
- Fun cookie treats
- Seeing the presentation of the American League championship rings
- A Rangers WIN!
Yard updating and new garden planting
Last summer I was doing good to get a small garden planted, with lots of shoveling work by Dad. This summer, I did a little updating of the front yard flower beds and added to the backyard garden.
Front yard - After
While the okra crop exceeded expectations last year, the rest of the garden was less than impressive. This year we (again, Dad's help as the adviser of all things agricultural) made the rows perpendicular from prior and added watering trough rows to ease the frequently late-night waterings. So far it's making a great start - lots of early produce in June!
Tomatoes were first again! -
Good Friday in Corpus Christi
With my family in three different places during the Good Friday/Easter weekend, my plans for the long weekend started out minimal, but expanded greatly at the last minute. First off, a day trip to Corpus Christi with Katie and Sarah. I think we may have been on the first flight in and last flight out from Dallas, and we sure make good use of those hours!
First, while Katie picked up the rental car, Sarah and I consulted the brochure and map racks at the airport and were given lots of advice from the all-to-willing-to-help volunteer. His lay of the land explanation was helpful, though we promptly went the opposite direction he suggested and ate elsewhere :)
Hoping in our sporty little SUV, we headed due East - to the island of course! It does take two flights from Dallas to get to Corpus, so by this time it was close to lunch and we were ready for seafood. I can't quite recall whether it was a suggestion by someone or an urbanspoon find, but Snoopy's Pier on the bay side of the island was perfect! Great fried shrimp, seafood shack feel (and smells :), and waterside seating.
We were now ready for the main adventure of the day - the ocean! After grabbing some essentials at HEB, we scouted the different beach areas for our perfect spot. Parked in the sand (with some tips by a passerby on how to park without getting stuck - thanks!) and we hit the waves. Boy, were they high, too! Lots of wind created some really fun waves to ride!
On the way out of town, we stopped at Rudy's for some great BBQ and made it back to the airport just in time for our flight. Another great day trip!
Easter in Austin
Two days later, I headed down to Austin to spend Easter Sunday with the Toole side of the family. Chef Diane cooked an incredible dinner, with everything you can imagine for traditional Easter. A bonus for me, since most of them do not eat meat often (or at all) I went home with the leftover ham - perfect for ham & potato skillet casserole!
I got the fun of both filling and 'hiding' Easter eggs for the kids (in quotes because evidently for a 3 and 1 year old, they still need to be in plain sight!) And after helping to play with the prizes inside the eggs, Cailyn let me watch her Strawberry Shortcake movie with her. I still have the Strawberry Shortcake board book that I got when I was probably her age. It is fun to see that they are bringing it back for this generation of kids, although I noted that Strawberry and her friends were a little more stylish than in my book : )
A fun day with family which brings an end to April!

No comments:
Post a Comment