Friday, June 18, 2010

First Fruit of Summer

Since I have a fairly good size backyard and really enjoy good summer produce, I decided to have a garden this year. With lots of help from Dad (i.e. most of the manual labor and planting expertise), I have an 8' x 8' garden area, with 1 row each of squash and zucchini, 1 1/2 rows of okra (1/2 row didn't make it) and 4 tomato plants.

For the past month or so (ever since the summer sun started really shining), the plants have had noticeable daily growth; the green kind at least, taller tomato plants and larger squash leaves. But a couple of weeks ago, the first sign of produce appeared in the form of a small, very green tomato. Slowly growing larger, it finally began to turn red this week. And this morning, it was deemed ready to be picked: the first fruit of summer!

I figured I better document the occasion with some pictures, because the real thing isn't likely to last long. Tomorrow's breakfast: the Toole family favorite of tomatoes and toast!






3 comments:

H Noble said...

Yea! Justin built our garden and I've been watering it, but we haven't actually planted it yet. Ha! I WILL find time this week!

Mandy said...

Yummy! That looks so good...I LOVE fresh garden tomatoes!

Jessica H said...

Congrats! We had two BIG ones we were waiting to be perfect until we picked - and while we were gone to Houston this weekend a squirrel beat us to it - and proceeded to chew through the base of the tomato plant killing it all together. Good grief!